Wednesday, December 7, 2016

GURPS supplements I'd like to see in 4th edition

Hey all,

Following the successful funding of Dungeon Fantasy powered by GURPS on kickstarter, Steve Jackson games has announced Mars Attacks powered by GURPS. This gives me some hope of seeing a fourth edition explosion of content like what GURPS had in its third edition heyday. With that in mind, here are the supplements I'd love to see remade with a fresh coat of fourth edition paint.

#5. GURPS Humanx
Let's start with one of the most obscure game supplements I've ever stumbled across. I should preface this with the fact that I haven't personally gotten my hands on most of the ones on this list, I'm just kind of jazzed that stuff like this is out there to try and get my hands on one day. This one I did see in a store, and I still vaguely regret not picking it up. It's just so left field to make a rules supplement for such a little known property as the works of Alan Dean Foster, and the setting is rich and vibrant enough to pique my interest in coming to something like this for a future game.

#4 GURPS Scarlet Pimpernell
Subtitled "Swashbuckling Adventure in Revolutionary France" this seems to be exactly what the title suggests: a supplement book for playing through the world of Baroness Orczy's prototype of the modern superhero story. If that doesn't sell on the idea of roleplaying outside of the classic D&D mold, then I don't know what will.

#3 GURPS Atomic Horror
I've actually got the old edition of this one coming in the mail, but it'd be great to see a retread of this material in the fourth edition rules. Atomic Horror is all about 50's B-movie science fiction, and with my groups, that'd turn into a night of mystery science theater-ing any GM's best laid plans in glorious fashion. Not only should this come back for the sake of B movie action, but for the tips and tricks for incorporating this sort of thing into your spy dramas and monster of the week government agency stories.

#2 GURPS Conan
There's something charming about old school sword and sorcery. RPGs that take more cues from serialized pulp adventures than from Tolkien inspired epics have a different flavor that evokes something somewhat Arthurian. For players looking to branch out into what GURPS is capable of, but need a few sessions with training wheels, a low magic fantasy like this would be perfect.

#1 GURPS Ice Age
Y'know, maybe this one doesn't deserve the number one spot on a purely objective measure, but this isn't a purely objective measure. This is what Joe likes, and what Joe likes is settings where wolves are a scary threat and the environmental hazards are as likely to kill you as the combat encounters. Prehistoric worlds are a vast and, largely untapped, genre in both adventure fiction and RPGs, and anything that helps these stories of both harshly grim and enduringly hopeful themes to happen is all right in my book.


So, there's my list. What GURPS supplements would you like to see brought back? What supplements have they never made that you'd love to see them take a crack at? Share in the comments below. Happy gaming, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment